Create a new template
To get started with templates, click the plus button to the right of Projects and select Templates from the first drop down menu. Give the template a name and click OK.
All templates added to your account will be stored in a folder called Project Templates at the bottom of the left navigation under closed projects as shown here:
How templates work
Templates are used for copying existing data into new projects. Here are the items that will be copied to your new project when creating a project from a project template:
- Overview section: Everything from the Details, People, and Settings tab except the project color. Overview history from the template is not copied to the new project.
- Tasks section: All tasks and subtasks, excluding attachments, comments, and Time entries (although Time estimates are included). The task start / end dates are updated dynamically to keep the same duration of the tasks in the project template, but they are based on the new project start date. Here is a simple example: Your original project has two tasks that start Feb 1st and Feb 10th. On March 10th you copy that project and choose March 10th for the project to start. The new tasks now begin on March 10th and March 20th. All your copied tasks are reset based on this formula.
- Files section: All files and folders added to the template will be copied to the new project. File versions are not available in the templates.
- Calendar section: All events including notes, people, and privacy settings. The event start / end dates are updated dynamically to keep the same duration of the event as in the template, but they are based on the new project start date.
- Notes section: All new notes and users assigned to the notes will be copied over.
Copy project template
To base a new project off of an existing project template, click on the + button to the right of Projects in the left navigation. Then select the template from the first drop down menu as shown here, give the project a name, set a start date, and click OK.
All of your data from the template has now been copied to the new project you just created and the task / calendar dates have been updated dynamically based on the new project start date.
Only System and Project admins on the account have the ability to add / view / update project templates. Templates are shared between all admins and can be copied at any time to add new projects.