How can we improve Projecturf ...

button instead of enter key

Add a Sumbit button to ticket & task entry instead of the enter keystroke. Consistently seeing people on my team (myself included) hitting "enter" to start a new paragraph in a ticket or task, and unintentionally and prematurely submitting the task. It's easy to update the task from there, but inefficient. It is hard to re-train oneself to adapt to this, since enter is used all day long in other software to start a new paragraph, and few of my Projecturf users are using the tool all day long like I am.

17 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Melissa shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • John Walker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I know there is already a topic about this.. whether its better to type "enter" or click "send" when writing comments in text fields. But I wanted to attached an image and I couldn't do that as a comment on the existing post. See attached image.

They are actually screenshots of Spotify's software. They give you an option to either type enter or click a send button. If the button is clicked then you have to type "enter"... if its not clicked, you have to click the send button after each message is typed. I like that, and then you make everyone happy.

I feel like there are lot of little functionalities like that, that have been implemented in a certain way, because it probably appeals to the assumed majority. Buy why not appeal to everyone by offering a button in those areas allowing you to choose how you want the software to perform.

For example I have another post somewhere on here about having the option to display all your project folders universally between all users, if wanted. Some people like the universal display, others like the personalized display... why not put a little button and let them choose and then everyone's a winner. If you're reading this go ahead and vote on that posting as well. Thanks.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be a MAJOR positive - for over-eager users like me, who hit "enter" and then bang their head on their desk in anger because they were not done with the ticket! UGH!

• Melissa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, that's what I meant - thanks for correcting the title for me!

What you say makes sense, I figured that was the reason for the design, but in practice with users who are not entering task after task, it is counter-productive and not intuitive. For example - a content owner requesting a change to a website, as opposed to a trained QA person logging tickets all day long. What's happening in our organization is that people are submitting tickets before they add notifications, assign staff, and add attachments. The most problematic of those things being the notifications, because there doesn't seem to be a way to edit a notification list once the ticket is submitted. I figured out Shift+Enter (I'm a UX/Project director), and so did our developers, but the business leads/content owners spend their lives in Microsoft Word and email, so even with training they continue to make the same mistake out of habit.

Not sure how many of your customers are using tasks the way we are (for change requests more than bug tracking), but it's something to consider...

Thanks for your quick response - really appreciate that Projecturf is online and listening. You also fixed one of my earlier requests and I was very impressed with that.

• AdminDave - Projecturf (Support, Projecturf) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think you mean add a button instead of the enter key (you wrote enter instead of button - so we changed the title for you). The reasoning here is that using enter is much faster and more efficient than using a button. If we use a button, you have to type, then move to your mouse to go click the button. By hitting enter instead, you can enter multiple tasks very quickly. Also, did you know that you can hold Shift+Enter to go to another line?

Feedback and Knowledge Base