How can we improve Projecturf ...

Task Dependency

You have absolutely the best product, but it is missing two great features! We need to be able to create tasks that recur (say a task to remind us to generate a monthly invoice for a client every month) AND we need to be able to have the option to have one task begin once a different task has been completed. So, like others have done, maybe have a spot in the add a task screen next to start date that says start when... and a dropdown box that lists other project associated tasks ..... is complete. This would help a ton when planning large projects over a large group of people with flexible deadlines.

389 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    M Hoffman shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

39 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • reiner.bohlen commented  · 

Giving up at this point.

Sales team adopted Zoho CRM, so we gave Zoho Projects a shot. Head and shoulders better for us. There's really no comparison: dependencies (obviously), better organizational granularity (e.g., categories (shared among the team!), projects, milestones, task lists, tasks, sub-tasks, etc.), kanban view, and on it goes.

That it's less than half the price ($80/mo for unlimited users) is icing...

• AdminJohn - Projecturf (Support, Projecturf) commented  · 

Hi Thomas,

We really haven't moved towards dependencies yet. We've had some big releases in 2016 - such as task notification emails, project backups, emailing new items into each project, etc. Dependencies are still being considered. Thanks,

• AdminJohn - Projecturf (Support, Projecturf) commented  · 

We do have some plans for making more updates to the tasks section this year. We just released drag and drop manual sorting and making tasks into subtasks and vice versa. Task dependencies are still being considered and several items are currently planned.

• Josette Loeblein commented  · 

No postings since August 2014 ????? And Projecturf is still holding ON an 9/2010 comment ???

• Ryan commented  · 

Any updates on dependencies? I am in the Free Trial stage of using this product and within the first 5 minutes of use I am frustrated and unable to create dependent tasks. If this is something I can't do, I will be cancelling this subscription and searching for another.

• AdminDave - Projecturf (Support, Projecturf) commented  · 

@Jessie,

Dependencies are still under consideration, but as we mentioned earlier this summer, we have some other larger initiatives this year that are taking priority. Thanks.

• Jessie commented  · 

Hi @Dave - Projecturf,

Any updates on dependencies? You say you've not gotten into this because you feel there's too much time spent managing dates, whereas the feedback you're getting here seems to be quite the opposite -- Manually adjusting tasks when the inevitable delay comes up is a super pain.

I'm evaluating solutions for my team at the moment and this might just be what pushes me away from Projecturf.

Thanks,

Jessie

Thanks for your reply, Dave. That said, the original comment was written back in 2010. Any ETA on dependencies? We've got work to do...

Thanks,

Reiner

Hi @reiner.bohlen,

Thanks for the comment. Task dependencies is still something that is under consideration. Historically, we've veered away from the typical Microsoft Project-type functionality because we feel that there's too much time managing dates and data - so we've opted for a more simple approach (tasks and subtasks). However, we understand that some folks do want dependencies. At the moment, we are focused on releasing our API, however, this is one of the items that is on the top of our list still. Thanks.

Task dependency is huge!

My team has dozens of projects under consideration at any given point in time, many of them with a dozen or more tasks/subtasks. If priorities shift -- and they do -- we wind up having to manually adjust those many dozens of due dates rather than simply shifting the due date of the first dependency and the rest of the due dates automatically adjust (including the overall project that the tasks support)

Team members are becoming increasingly frustrated with this lack of basic project functionality and are starting to agitate for a system that can handle dependencies. Projecturf has a lot of functionality to recommend it, but...

We currently pay $200/month for full Projecturf functionality. One of our team members has been looking for alternatives and is a proponent of Zoho Projects, which supports dependencies, for only $80/month. At the moment, his arguments are looking pretty compelling. Any ideas on why we should stick w/PT?

• Rachel commented  · 

Hi, any update on task dependencies? Thanks.

• Richard van den Winkel commented  · 

Or optionally:

Add drag 'n drop to multiple tasks, so i don't have to go over each task to set the corrected due date.

• Martin Wedgwood commented  · 

I need that too. Those missing features were the main reason to not dig deeper into the product..

Task dependencies is something we're strongly considering. However, at the moment we are focused on some other big things. There's no immediately decision on this, but again, it's something we're very strongly considering for the near future.

• Anonymous commented  · 

Any updates on this? I am currently evaluating tools so I can change from Basecamp, and this is definitely a priority feature that I'm looking for.

• John commented  · 

I agree. Project dependencies are a great tool that keep a project running smoothly without additional management to the team. This feature would be a huge improvement for Projecturf. If the feature is missing I would have to use two independent systems....a main reason I'm about to switch from my current online project system.

• Anonymous commented  · 

I completely agree.

Project timelines are essential, and you can't maintain timelines without dependencies. I don't think I can use Projecturf without this feature - i'd have to use a supplemental utility to publish timelines to the team, and 2 programs to learn/use is too complicated for my stake holders!

• Anonymous commented  · 

Agree! I love how simple it is to add a task, but I think it's a bit too simple. Without dependencies, if I change the date on a task early on in my project, there is nothing that lets the dates adjust to a new end date - instead it's up to the manager to go in and adjust each task. A bit tedious if you have a complex project. I nearly rejected the software for use on my team because of this, but the rest of the functionality kept me from walking away from it. I hope it is in the works.

On the Gantt chart, click & drag is a fantastic feature, but given that you can only see a certain number of weeks at a time, I think it would be easier to be able to adjust start/end date going down the list, instead of having to scroll left/right.

• April commented  · 

Looking at software, and won't be able to choose this option without recurring tasks and task dependency. Too bad because it is a great product otherwise. Please notify me if this feature is already in the works.. I might be able to push back our deadline.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base